The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Friday informed the Calcutta High Court that there was no gangrape of a female junior doctor of RG Kar Medical College and Hospital in Kolkata. A single bench of Justice Tirthankar Ghosh is hearing the case related to the rape and murder of a woman doctor in August last year.
Earlier, on the first day of fresh hearing in his bench on March 24, Justice Ghosh had directed the CBI to clarify whether the incident was a case of rape or gangrape.
On Friday, the CBI in its clarification to the same bench ruled out the possibility of gangrape in the case.
After this, the CBI also clarified that the current stage of investigation in the case was related to the angle of tampering and alteration of evidence, while the preliminary investigation in the case was being done by the Kolkata Police.
CBI submitted a three-page report in the court
On Friday afternoon, the CBI also submitted a three-page status report to a special court in Kolkata on the progress of investigation in the case. The status report was submitted to the same special court, which recently sentenced the only convict in the case, Sanjay Roy, to life imprisonment.
On Friday, the CBI also submitted the case diary in the case to Justice Ghosh’s bench, as directed by Justice Ghosh on the first day of the hearing on March 24.
The central agency, while submitting a clarification that the tragedy was not a case of “gang rape”, also said that their findings in the case were followed by their claims on these lines being confirmed in the report by a forensic team of 14 experts, which had examined various documents collected by the investigating officers in the case.
The CBI counsel also told Justice Ghosh’s bench on Monday that the current stage of the investigation deals with post-crime conduct with regard to tampering and alteration of evidence, which may be part of the larger conspiracy behind the crime.
Accused Sanjay Roy has been sentenced to life imprisonment
The next hearing in the case before Justice Ghosh’s bench has been scheduled after two weeks. The bench also directed that the case diary of the preliminary inquiry into the case be produced before the court on the next date of hearing. It may be recalled that on the morning of August 9 last year, the victim’s body was recovered from the seminar hall of the hospital premises.
A special investigation team of Kolkata Police began the preliminary investigation into the case and also arrested Sanjay Roy. However, soon after the order of the Calcutta High Court, the charge of investigation was handed over to the CBI and accordingly, Roy was handed over to the CBI from the custody of the city police.
Recently, a special court in Kolkata sentenced Roy to life imprisonment. However, the CBI has already challenged the order of the special court in the Calcutta High Court and has sought death penalty for him.