The Hague: The UN’s top court began hearing on Thursday on South Africa’s request to stop Israel’s military operation in the southern Gaza city of Rafah. The hearing will last for two days. This is the fourth time South Africa has requested emergency measures from the International Court of Justice (ICJ). South Africa has approached the court alleging that Israel’s military action in the war with Hamas in Gaza is akin to genocide.
The situation is getting worse
The new petition said that the previous orders of the Hague-based court were not enough to stop the “barbaric military attack on the only refuge for the people of Gaza”. South Africa has said that the situation in the war-torn region is constantly getting worse. South Africa’s ambassador to the Netherlands, Vusimuzi Madonsela, said, “Israel’s genocide continues apace and has reached a new and horrific phase.”
Israel’s denial
South Africa has urged the court to direct Israel to withdraw from Rafah, and take measures to ensure unhindered access to the Gaza Strip for UN officials, humanitarian organizations and journalists. During the hearing earlier this year, Israel strongly denied committing genocide in Gaza and said it makes every effort to protect civilians, targeting only Hamas terrorists.
This is how the war started
The war began on October 7 last year with a Hamas attack in southern Israel in which Palestinian terrorists killed about 1,200 people and took about 250 people hostage. At the same time, Gaza’s Health Ministry says that more than 35,000 Palestinians have been killed in the war.