USA: US President Donald Trump has prepared for a major change in the country’s election system. He has signed several important executive orders, paving the way for further action. Now registration for voting in federal elections will not be possible without documentary proof of citizenship. The rules for voting by post will also be amended.
According to Trump’s new executive order, only ballots received by election day will be counted. In his latest order, Trump has said that America has so far failed to implement basic and necessary election security.
Warning of stopping federal aid
After the release of the new executive order, the Trump administration has called upon the states to share voter lists and work together with federal agencies to prosecute election crimes. A warning has also been given to withdraw federal financial aid in case of non-cooperation. If the election officials of the states do not follow the federal orders, then federal funding can be stopped for them.
Allegations of rigging in elections and strict action by Trump
President Donald Trump may face strong opposition and legal challenges from voting rights organizations due to his recent decisions. Trump has long been claiming that large-scale rigging is taking place in the US elections.
Even before the 2020 election results came out, he had made several serious allegations against Democratic candidate Joe Biden. Since his defeat in the election, Trump has been openly opposing many laws related to voting and repeatedly making allegations of fraud.
‘More big decisions in the coming weeks’
Trump has been particularly vocal about mail voting. He called it unsafe without any concrete evidence and said that it promotes fraud. However, after winning the election this year, he changed his stance on this issue, as this method has become very popular among Republican leaders and their supporters. American election experts say that cases of fraud are rare, their scope is limited and legal action is taken on such cases. After signing the executive orders on Tuesday, Trump said that “many more big decisions related to election reform will be taken in the coming weeks.”