Yemen’s Houthi rebels and an Iraqi militant group claimed they attacked four ships docked at Haifa port in northern Israel. The Houthi rebels said the ships belonged to companies that have violated a ban on entering the ports of occupied Palestine.
Yemen’s Houthis said early Sunday that they had carried out a joint military operation with the Islamic Resistance in Iraq militant group, targeting four ships at Israel’s northern Haifa port. Houthi military spokesman Yahya Sari said the two groups carried out drone attacks on two cement tankers and two cargo ships at Haifa port on Saturday.
Attack on Shorthorn Express
The Israeli military did not immediately comment, although it previously denied a similar claim by Houthi rebels earlier this month. Yahya Sari also said Houthi rebels had attacked the Shorthorn Express in the Mediterranean Sea using drones as part of the group’s campaign to disrupt shipping in major waterways.
Drone and missile attacks in shipping lanes
Sari said both operations successfully achieved their objectives and the strikes were precise and direct. There was no independent confirmation of the attacks. The Iran-aligned Houthis first launched drone and missile attacks in shipping lanes in November. In dozens of attacks, they sank two ships, seized another and killed at least three sailors.